Cheap Trick Messageboard

Full Version: Jani Lane, RIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Too many people dying lately...sad.

http://www.billboard.com/news/jani-lane-...4552.story
Yeah saw that on a friends FB page. Sad, too young. My husband made a crack when I told him. Too much Cherry Pie.

RIP
Blimey 47. Huh
He once had a funny story when talking about how quickly those "hair bands" of the 80's/early 90's came and went. He said he went into his record company's office and got all jazzed because the Warrant album poster was hanging in the lobby. Then he went back the next day and it was replaced with Alice in Chains. R.I.P.
(08-12-2011 10:57 AM)jjgittes Wrote: [ -> ]He once had a funny story when talking about how quickly those "hair bands" of the 80's/early 90's came and went. He said he went into his record company's office and got all jazzed because the Warrant album poster was hanging in the lobby. Then he went back the next day and it was replaced with Alice in Chains. R.I.P.

That may have "sort of" carried over into real life, too.

I was in Raleigh, NC when Vince Neil did that "Nostalgia" 80s/hair band tour" that I believe Warrant was a part of. They were at a venue across town, I was at a King's X show with my buddy, Audley. We went backstage after the King's X show and Jani and a few pals of his were there. We (Audley and I) were talking to Doug Pinnick (when he still spelled his name that way) and Jani and his "crew" walked up. Now, I thought it was odd for Jani and his pals to be at the King's X show in the first place, knowing Vince Neil's thing was either still going on or just wrapping up. But anyway, he and his boys kind of sauntered up like we were all supposed to drop to our knees and bow down to him. Doug and Jani exchanged pleasantries, I think maybe Jerry Gaskill was around and he said "Hi" but it was obvious that Jani was still operating from the concept that his band had some hits and he was thinking they must be on the way back up. After they stood around for a few minutes, and realizing no one there had any interest in fawning over him (not fans, not King's X, not anyone) they made a hasty departure. It was weird. Then a few minutes later, Doug made some comment about not really knowing Jani that well and he hoped he hadn't been rude but he didn't know why the guy and his entourage were there, his show and his "fans" were across town at the other venue (which must have taken people away from the King's X show. (Although, it seemed half full, the club was twice as big as any club I have ever been in, and I mean it was huge. Like 2 Roseland Ballrooms laid end to end. Crazy big.

I think things would have been more positive if Jani Lane and his friends had been cordial to everyone, but it was clear they had rolled up to see King's X, hold court with them and I guess wanted to "talk shop." That was the only time I had ever seen Jani Lane and he was right there, 2 feet from me (and also one of the greatest guitar players on the planet) and yet he couldn't just say "Hey, whassup?" to anyone but the guys in King's X. Two words were just too much. He was not overtly rude, but clearly he had a goal, and that goal was to be recognized and fawned over, and it just didn't happen for him.

I am very sorry for his family's loss, it is a shame to leave children behind. I hate to hear of his alcohol troubles. I am sad for his kids, I am sad for him because I realized that night he must have been miserable. Now, it's just sad. My heart goes out to his fans, too.
Just saw this post and can't believe it. I always thought if it wasn't for the Cherry Pie album Warrent would have had more success. Some of their darker albums in the early 90's like Dog eat Dog were really good.

Really sadSad
Sad to hear. RIP Jani.
Thanks for sharing your Jani encounter. Interesting read! I always liked Jani, and a lot of Warrant's stuff, minus "Cherry Pie". Jani and Warrant really were part of the 80's Hair Band culture. Very sad to have lost another one.....

I was in Raleigh, NC when Vince Neil did that "Nostalgia" 80s/hair band tour" that I believe Warrant was a part of. They were at a venue across town, I was at a King's X show with my buddy, Audley. We went backstage after the King's X show and Jani and a few pals of his were there. We (Audley and I) were talking to Doug Pinnick (when he still spelled his name that way) and Jani and his "crew" walked up. Now, I thought it was odd for Jani and his pals to be at the King's X show in the first place, knowing Vince Neil's thing was either still going on or just wrapping up. But anyway, he and his boys kind of sauntered up like we were all supposed to drop to our knees and bow down to him. Doug and Jani exchanged pleasantries, I think maybe Jerry Gaskill was around and he said "Hi" but it was obvious that Jani was still operating from the concept that his band had some hits and he was thinking they must be on the way back up. After they stood around for a few minutes, and realizing no one there had any interest in fawning over him (not fans, not King's X, not anyone) they made a hasty departure. It was weird. Then a few minutes later, Doug made some comment about not really knowing Jani that well and he hoped he hadn't been rude but he didn't know why the guy and his entourage were there, his show and his "fans" were across town at the other venue (which must have taken people away from the King's X show. (Although, it seemed half full, the club was twice as big as any club I have ever been in, and I mean it was huge. Like 2 Roseland Ballrooms laid end to end. Crazy big.

I think things would have been more positive if Jani Lane and his friends had been cordial to everyone, but it was clear they had rolled up to see King's X, hold court with them and I guess wanted to "talk shop." That was the only time I had ever seen Jani Lane and he was right there, 2 feet from me (and also one of the greatest guitar players on the planet) and yet he couldn't just say "Hey, whassup?" to anyone but the guys in King's X. Two words were just too much. He was not overtly rude, but clearly he had a goal, and that goal was to be recognized and fawned over, and it just didn't happen for him.

I am very sorry for his family's loss, it is a shame to leave children behind. I hate to hear of his alcohol troubles. I am sad for his kids, I am sad for him because I realized that night he must have been miserable. Now, it's just sad. My heart goes out to his fans, too.

[/quote]
I am devastated. Jani's music has been a huge part of my life. He was a great, underrated songwriter, and in my opinion, was the best of his genre. I never got to see him live or meet him, but I still adored the guy. I hope that he's finally found peace and my thoughts are with his children. Rest in peace, Jani... love ya and miss ya. Sad
Did you know his real name was actually John Kennedy Oswald? Wild; RIP>
I saw this YouTube video a couple of months ago. It's Warrant (w/ Faster Pussycat) covering Cheap Trick in 1987. It's a hot mess, but fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJDXiiOUWM

RIP Jani Lane.
(08-13-2011 10:03 PM)djcaterina Wrote: [ -> ]I saw this YouTube video a couple of months ago. It's Warrant (w/ Faster Pussycat) covering Cheap Trick in 1987. It's a hot mess, but fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJDXiiOUWM

RIP Jani Lane.

Hot mess, indeed. I'm impressed they attempted a cover of that tune at all. CT makes it look easy, these guys prove "It's hard to be Cheap Trick!"
It's sad that he passed the way he did.

Worse yet was all the jokes made using the song titles from the band's heyday.

I was a fan, not a huge one, but a fan of the band.

And despite his belief and the belief of others, I really enjoyed the "Cherry Pie" song. It isn't a song that is meant to go into the a time capsule as an all-time classic or anything but it is a fun bouncy of it's time song and I don't believe there is anything really wrong with the song or liking it.

And the notion that the band was a one hit wonder is idiotic too. Besides "Cherry Pie" there was "Down Boys" and "Heaven". Not too mention other less single successful but ultimately fantastic songs like "Sometimes She Cries", "I Saw Red" and my personal favorite "Uncle Tom's Cabin".
i met jani right before the metal tour he did with firehouse , dokken ,
kip winger and others . i talked to him about the weight loss show he was on and he signed a best of cd i had . dude was a real nice guy .
sad to hear about his passing !! Sad
Thanks for the youtube link. I love one of the comments.
Warrant gets grades for this for the cover, but lets' face it, they aint no Cheap Trick. Zander, Carlos, Nileson, and Peterson took Bigger dumps than this dip Rick Nielsen band did in the 70's while this band struggled to get a name in the late 80's. We should all get a Warrant for our arrest looking at this piece of hair metal garbage. Check out the orignal CT song, it embarrasses these douche rockers sadly. Re, Sick man of Reality

Hmm, interesting writing style. I guess it is good to know CT has fans out there like this one. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's