Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sept. 16 show cancelled in California~Why?
08-03-2011, 10:23 AM
RE: Sept. 16 show cancelled in California~Why?
It's not ridiculous to demand an answer at all. It is ridiculous to demand an answer after one has been given, but not to ask for an initial one, especially when explanations are being given for other canceled shows.
Find all posts by this user
08-03-2011, 12:45 PM
(08-03-2011 10:23 AM)ch67 Wrote:  It's not ridiculous to demand an answer at all. It is ridiculous to demand an answer after one has been given, but not to ask for an initial one, especially when explanations are being given for other canceled shows.

Good luck. Let's see if an explanation is forthcoming. I know from experience that bands sometimes cancel shows. Here's the dirty little secret: sometimes an excuse is given that is not even true. And most of the time you get no explanation.
08-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Bug RE: Sept. 16 show cancelled in California~Why?
And there's the rub. If the band were being Mum about ALL cancelled shows...I would hardly say a word...I'd assume it was a "Berger incident" and be totally cool with that. But it's ONE specific show. If there's a "gag order" in place; They can just use a blanket reply and say, "Circumstances Beyond Our Control" . Generic,yes. Not a 100% disclosure,yes. But some form of answer/reason.

I'm not saying I Hate the band , or I'll NEVER see them again , just a little peeved that this particular cancellation gets no explanation. And sort of makes me think, is the venue not trustworthy? Should I not plan on seeing any future shows by anybody in Clarksburg? And if so...tell me now...so I don't get screwed over tickets for another Clarksburg show by other performers! Just asking for a little common courtesy.

"This damnedable stuff is burning a hole in the ship's carpet!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Maybe if you keep this up, you'll get an explanation. Keep trying!
08-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Agreed~ I'd like to know if this is an Old Sugar Mill venue problem or if Cheap Trick decided to cancel the show. The venue in Clarksburg was touted as the "next great venue" in many Sacramento area publications, so I, too, would like to know if this is something that they, the venue, could have prevented. Not a single word is mentioned on the venue website~not a word! I think that is highly unprofessional and a very bad sign if they are planning future concerts there.
08-03-2011, 09:54 PM
If a band I wanted to see canceled a show in my town, I would contact the venue and ask.
08-04-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't really agree that if CT said the generic response of, "The show was cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control," people would just be satisfied with that and consider it "enough" of an explanation. You really think ppl on here wouldn't be demanding to know exactly what the circumstances are? lol And if it's not the band's fault, but rather a promoter's or a club owner's, then by saying the "circumstances beyond our control" thing, wouldn't CT be assigning blame to someone else in a passive aggressive, "anonymous" way? That's not how CT operates; they're a bit more professional than that. I would think that most bands know to keep their mouths shut if it's the promoter's or club owner's fault. It just makes CT look like they're assigning blame.

Seriously, you could have shown up to the venue and THEN found out it was cancelled. Things could be a lot worse. And again, General Disaster, what you're not really acknowledging is that this band took the stage 2 or 3 days after nearly being killed and their management rallied to have more gear shipped to them. Have they earned NO goodwill from you for doing any of this? :-) Man, we've got short memories!

WWCTD - What Would Cheap Trick Do?
08-04-2011, 01:56 AM
I should "amend" my previous statement(s) and remove the "demand" comment. I think persistent but polite requests will yield the same result.

And in General Disaster's defense, I think I was the one who made the initial comment about the stage and that being a possible reason. The General has been very clear that he didn't think that the stage thing was the real issue. Perhaps he is right. I think I should point out he hasn't been critical of CT not taking the stage because of the collapse, I think that idea may have been mashed up in the conversation, but GD didn't knock the band for that. At least I don't recall him doing so.

I think Cheap Trick deserves a lot of credit for taking the stage (indoor or outdoor) two days after (or the next day or whenever it was). I don't think anyone would try to take THAT away from them. They are brave to do that, no doubt.
08-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Nevermind Chuck perhaps you'll get Wilson Phillips instead. Tongue

★♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ★ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪★ [Image: guitarr.gif] ★♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ★ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪★

08-04-2011, 09:17 AM
WOW! Chynna Phillips did not age well.
08-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Wow. Talk about a poor replacement... Do they even compare, in any way? I think not. Well, I still say CT is merited in not playing a stage made by the same company as the Ottawa show. It still would be nice to know why that Clarksburg show is canceled.
08-05-2011, 03:05 AM
What I don't get is why some people feel it's oh-so important that they need to 'know' everything.Have some respect for the band FFS.
Geez it's not as if this gig was cancelled with 48 hours notice it's 7 weeks notice like.

08-05-2011, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 02:07 PM by General Disaster.)
Bug RE: Sept. 16 show cancelled in California~Why?
@ Felicity - I've never once questioned or knocked the bands integrity as troupers. Yep. 100% Respect for carrying on so soon after the event. But... we're talking about 45 days after said incident. And 1 singular show that has vanished under mysterious circumstances.

The band have always been pretty straightforward about things. BUT as FANS you can never take the "business as usual" stance. Because we don't always get a 100% explanation of some situations. ( < cough cough Bun E.Carlos cough cough > ). No one but the band itself , knows how Cheap Trick will respond or explain things. So,it's not really out of line to ask.

And frankly...yeah..."circumstances beyond on our control" would've satisfied me. I'd assume there was some sort of screw up somewhere - don't care from which end - band or venue - and be okay with that. That kinda crap happens. Some of us are satisfied with ANY response.

"This damnedable stuff is burning a hole in the ship's carpet!"
08-05-2011, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 03:43 PM by kgisborne.)
I've read this thread with interest, and if I may add my 2c...

It would always be nice to know why any show is cancelled, but it could be for one of a variety of reasons, and it may be that the band cannot contractually say. Over the years I've lost probably 25-30 CT shows, some weeks in advance but after I made and paid for travel plans, and some much closer (or even on the day). It's frustrating, but it happens, and more often than not no reason is given. Where it happens weeks in advance (for any band), you generally do not get a reason but you get a refund and life goes on. Where it happens at short notice, then yes, you'd generally hear why (e.g, Fresno CA back in maybe 03 or 04 when Robin fell ill on show day). But the nature of the music business is such that shows do drop off schedules (weeks in advance) for whatever reason, and nobody except the venue and the band involved know why.

I fully appreciate the frustration of those who were going to this show, particularly if they had great seats, but these things happen. It was 7 weeks away, and you probably wouldn't get an explanation from 90% of bands or artists as to why given that timescale. So why waste energy staying wound up about it? It happens, and I think there is the Boneyard show in SF which is a "local" alternative to consider.

One last thing. I think using the announcement that Vancouver was cancelled as a reason why folks *must* be given an explanation for this CA date cancelling doesn't hold water. The Ottawa near-disaster was an exceptional event, and naturally the band and its mgmt want to avoid those same stages until the safety investigation can be carried out. Hence the band made it clear that this major and unresolved safety issue meant they would not go onto the same type of stage in another part of Canada. The cancellation in CA would appear to be due to a more "normal" contractual or other reason, and so is very different.

Whilst I sympathise with your frustrations (and I'm not being condescending, I've honestly been in your situation and had flights/hotels booked too before getting shows cancelled), I'd respectfully suggest that you get your refund from TM and move on. There's nothing to be gained in staying angry. And remember in the music industry, these things actually happen commonly.

Back to lurking.
Kim
(They persecute me right here in Leeds, England)
08-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Exactly Kim. Angel

Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)