Bono
Bon Scott
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Robin Zander vs. The Greatest Male Rock Vocalists
09-29-2007, 11:03 PM

Oh wow, to choose between Robin and Freddie, that's like only being able to have cream or sugar in my coffee! It ain't gonna happen :laugh: I really think Roy Orbison was the greatest singer of all time but he didn't front a band so it's hard to put them in the same category. Only other singer that I can think of who isn't on a list is Paul Rodgers, man, he's excellent.

WHO DAT!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2011, 10:08 PM

IfYouWantMy Wrote:How do ya'll think Robin stacks up against the best of all time?
I read this and wondered, did you mean to ask how the others stacked up to Robin Zander?!?! No one is better. icon_sunny.gif

Yeah!ILikeCheapTrick
http://www.opendiary.com/entrylist.asp?a...de=D790907
03-15-2011, 10:07 AM

The DP shows put to rest any argument (if I ever had one) who I believe is the best.
Saw Paul Rodgers sing with Queen and Bad Co. He is awesome, as was Freddy. Elvis and Roy were always strong, distinctive singers.
One singer who I, too, believe is overrated is Robert Plant. Sounded good with Zep. Right now he can only sing baritone.
Just listened to RZ's country samples. Only he can pull that country sound off, scream on pitch, then come back and sing a ballad. One of my brother's and my favorite times was seeing the Bun E. Carlos Experience on St. Patty's day. Rick, Tom and Robin came out to join Bun, and RZ sang "Highway to Hell, along with (I think) Cal. Man and a couple of others. He is the ONLY singer, other than Bon, who can pull off that song. Yet you can use some of his softer stuff to help your baby sleep (done it before!).
03-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Oh yeah- Steven Tyler (IMHO) is the most overrated singer in the history of overrated singers. Great band, but ST?- bblllleeecccchhh!
03-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Rod Stewart is fun, but hardly a singer. His version of 'the classics' is freakin' horrible! If you are going to re-do a song, do it as least as well as the original...or do it even better! Rod ran on the coat tails of those stars and ruined those songs!!

Money can't buy me love...
03-15-2011, 04:49 PM

Grillman Wrote:We all know Robin is our favorite. I must say where is Paul Rodgers on this list???
I've said it before and I'll say it again> Paul Rodgers has the best voice of any rock singer I've ever heard icon_thumright.gif That being said I also believe Robin ranks right up there with any of them; particularly for versatility, power and endurance icon_king.gif

Mack Axyzz

'It was a real fine line now you changed my life around'
'I love me some CT; those MFs is dope'
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-19-2011, 12:12 AM

Benjamin Orr is my favourite personally...

"I knew I'd meet you, I had a dream about you. We were walking hand in hand we were talking about love. Love at first sight, when I looked into your eyes I was blinded by the feelings in my heart."
03-19-2011, 01:23 PM

maxyzz Wrote:
Grillman Wrote:We all know Robin is our favorite. I must say where is Paul Rodgers on this list???
I've said it before and I'll say it again> Paul Rodgers has the best voice of any rock singer I've ever heard icon_thumright.gif That being said I also believe Robin ranks right up there with any of them; particularly for versatility, power and endurance icon_king.gif
THIS use to be my VERY favorite song to dance to! I had long hair back then and was flexible and use to bend over backwards and touch the dance floor with my hair. (I don't even know how I did it now!)
But, give it a listen: dam if Robin couldn't/wouldn't do it better! Don't ya'all agree?

Feel Like Makin' Love - Paul Rodgers & Queen
http://www.youtube.com/user/queenofficial

Money can't buy me love...
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Good Poll, If You Want My.

I agree with lots of posts here regarding Steven Tyler. Steven Tyler is the Vince Neil of singers. Great bands, not exceptionally great singers. Both wish they could sing like Robin Zander. The same is true of Diamond David Lee Roth. Probably the greatest front man of all time but not in the top ten of greatest singers of all time.

Although my favorite singer in the whole wide world is Mr. Robin Zander and Ricks T-shirt states it best "My Lead Singer is better than your Lead Singer", I voted for -

Freddie Mercury.

Feddie is regarded in the top 3, if not #1 in most rock/hard rock polls. For me, it was harder to not vote for Freddie than for him. (Does that make sense?) Robin is even on a Queen Tribute Album. I wonder who Robin would vote for?

Meat Loaf was an intersting choice. Most people don't realize that Meat Loaf has done extensive studio work for several artists. He does all the high note voice overs for Ted Nugent for example.

I also lean towards the Harder side of Rock, so hear are some of my alternates and my faves.

Paul Rogers = Free, Bad Co., The Firm, Queen and Self

John Waite = The Baby's, Bad English, and self (For a Brit, he annunciates well)

Geoff Tate (Queensryche) Not particular fond of the band but Mr. Tate is a monster on vocals.

Rob Halford (Judas Priest) One of Cheap Trick Stable Mates on Epic. Amazing range. Band are CT Fans so they get bonus points.

Ronnie James Dio (Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Self) Dio got added to my list in 2010 when I started revisiting some older records.

Bruce Dickenson (Iron Maiden) I don't even like this band but I have heard enough to know that he would kick most singers ass in a singing contest just humming.

Robin Zander - "The man of a Thousand Voices" The reason I first listen to Cheap Trick. I have said this before, when I think of "angels singing" I think of Mr. Zander.

I base singers on Power, Vocal Range, Tone Sustain, Tone Variation, and Delivery.

Hamerica :unclesam:
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM

It was tough deciding between Robin, Freddie and Bon, but I had to go with Mr. Zander.
04-08-2011, 03:37 PM

I LOVE Robin, a whole lot! But Bon Scott gets my vote =]

Proud auntie to Nydia, Haley and Juan<3

MISHKA POO-POO
04-08-2011, 06:06 PM

Oh, just get me started... There is no one in Rock who compares to Robin. His beautiful voice is full of emotion, his range is amazing, and he is simply the best! Always has been, always will be.

The more I think about, the less that it matters; the less I think about, the more that it matters...
04-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Zanfan Wrote:Oh, just get me started... There is no one in Rock who compares to Robin. His beautiful voice is full of emotion, his range is amazing, and he is simply the best! Always has been, always will be.
Brigette, I could not agree more.

Yeah!ILikeCheapTrick
http://www.opendiary.com/entrylist.asp?a...de=D790907
10-19-2011, 01:51 AM
RE: Robin Zander vs. The Greatest Male Rock Vocalists
What separates Robin from Freddie is live. Freddie Mercury ALWAYS sang songs at a lower octave (or whatever you call it) than the studio versions. Zander, on the other hand, sang them even better live.

Woke Up With a Monster. Cheap Trick 1997. Special One. Rockford. The Latest. 5 classics in a row. Can't wait for #6!!
10-19-2011, 07:11 AM
RE: Robin Zander vs. The Greatest Male Rock Vocalists
No disrespect to all the great singers mentioned and certain voices go better with certain music, like Cornell with Soundgarden, Coverdale kinda did Plant, Brian Johnson is doing Bon Scott. I'm sure a lot of singers would sound fine singing The Who. Bonnie Tyler did a fine job singing Steinman's music, but nobody and I mean nobody can touch Freddie.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)