93 Paul Simon
94 Peter Buck
95 Roger McGuinn
96 Bruce Springsteen
97 Steve Jones
98 Alex Lifeson
99 Thurston Moore
100 Lindsey Buckingham

I thought Jack was still #17 on this list but he's down around 70 now. There are a few I'd like to see removed and replaced by some off the previous list. Also, where's Satriani? Robin Trower?
11-28-2011, 09:08 AM,
RE: RS Top 100 axe men
Well that's a little better.
I understand how subjective these lists can be and I try to realize the evolution and history of the different players. Some of the musicians we consider crude and unimaginative were inspiring future generations who would take their steps in the evolution of the instrument.
Hendrix, Page, Clapton and Van Halen should always be in the top five in my opinion. Not that these are my favorites but they have done so much to elevate the electric guitar and the music to such interests, heights and abilities.
All things must pass
11-28-2011, 10:04 AM,
In the battle of the sexes: looks like the men have it all over the women in this catagory!
Money can't buy me love...
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2011, 10:46 AM by Your_Latest_Trick.)
(11-28-2011, 10:04 AM)1955Meg Wrote:  In the battle of the sexes: looks like the men have it all over the women in this catagory!

And what reasons can we give for this? Women like Joan Jet, Melissa Etheridge, Chrissie Hynde and Nancy Wilson are capable of some adequate rhythm guitar and lovely accoustic. I have never really listened to a lot of Lita Ford's music to give any comment at all but it seems women are just not good at lead guitar. Even good female bass players do not stack up all that favorably to an overwhelming majority of male bass players.

And yes, I think there are strong arguments for a top 100 guitar players list that would include Jack White, Kurt Cobain, Bruce Springsteen, James Hatfield and Joni Mitchell only to not consider one or more of the following: Joe Bonamassa, Joe Satriani, Robin Trower, Waddy Wachtel or Steve Lukather.
I personally would support a 100 list that did not include Rick Nielsen; provided those I mentioned above and perhaps three of four others were not considered for the list. Rick has been a very good guitarist with abilities and inspirations that outweigh a few others on this 2011 list as well as that 2003 list. There are a few on the list I would certainly exclude to allow room for Nielsen, Satriani, Lukather and Trower at the least. If I had to pick three from those, Rick would not one of them.
All things must pass
11-28-2011, 03:02 PM,
Is the list you're referring to David Frickes top 100....it doesn't matter his was as bad as the one Rolling Stone put together.

He listed Kurt Cobain and Kirk Hammett before Jeff Beck...and EVH at 70. I sometimes wonder if they do that just get people fired up. I think it works.

I don't get what they like so much about Jack White. To me he's not doing anything that other Detroit guitarists were doing in the 60's/70's. He plays blues riffs with a big muff. Mark Farner was doing that shi+ 40 years ago. I actually love hearing that kind of playing once in awhile, but I don't think he's a guitar god.

I like Metallica and some of Kirk Hammetts solos are pretty cool, but some of his solos make me cringe...I think he has the worse vibrato, similar to CC Deville. He should listen to Peter Green, maybe he does on the way to the bank.

I'd like to see Terry Kath get some love...he was a true guitar player.

11-28-2011, 04:41 PM,
(11-26-2011, 07:33 AM)pachyderm I Wrote:  george harrison was always overrated imho...

George was an excellent slide guitarist.
Bye-bye, so long, farewell, bye-bye, so long, sayonara, bye-bye, au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen,
JCC

"Leave me alone cuz I'm my Best Friend."
11-28-2011, 06:12 PM,
Some great guitarists that are not on the list...

Michael F!@#ing Schenker !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vinnie Moore - not as fast as Thurston Moore (ha!), but he should be on the list
Mick Taylor - he's just a little tiny bit better than Keith Richards
Dave Mustaine - maybe if he used more effects pedals like The Edge he would have made the list
Yngwie Malmsteen - he's no Roger McGuinn but he's pretty nasty
Buckethead - his mask is less scary than Lou Reed's face and his guitar work is better
Jerry Cantrell - brought Alice in Chains beyond the usual "grunge" with his acoustic work
Brian Setzer - don't be fooled by that Stray Cat and big band stuff, this guy can play
Chris DeGarmo/Michael Wilton - double the pleasure with dual lead guitarists
Elliott Easton - the Rodney Dangerfield of guitarists...he deserves more respect
Dave Meniketti - very underrated lead guitarist of Y+T
Bye-bye, so long, farewell, bye-bye, so long, sayonara, bye-bye, au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen,
JCC

"Leave me alone cuz I'm my Best Friend."
11-29-2011, 07:55 AM,
(11-28-2011, 03:02 PM)Paul Calypso Wrote:  Is the list you're referring to David Frickes top 100....it doesn't matter his was as bad as the one Rolling Stone put together.

He listed Kurt Cobain and Kirk Hammett before Jeff Beck...and EVH at 70. I sometimes wonder if they do that just get people fired up. I think it works.

I don't get what they like so much about Jack White. To me he's not doing anything that other Detroit guitarists were doing in the 60's/70's. He plays blues riffs with a big muff. Mark Farner was doing that shi+ 40 years ago. I actually love hearing that kind of playing once in awhile, but I don't think he's a guitar god.

I like Metallica and some of Kirk Hammetts solos are pretty cool, but some of his solos make me cringe...I think he has the worse vibrato, similar to CC Deville. He should listen to Peter Green, maybe he does on the way to the bank.

I'd like to see Terry Kath get some love...he was a true guitar player.

The first list I posted was Fricke's from 2003 the second one is the newer one.
11-29-2011, 08:26 AM,
Wow. More indie crap. Van Halen and Gilmour so low? No Rick, Alex Lifeson or Ace Frehley?

Still baffled by Eddie at 70 and the jack White at 17.

Mind boggling.

And while I like My Morning Jacket, 2 band mates got to vote? Strange list.
11-29-2011, 01:49 PM,
Duane Allman at #2? George Harrison overrated?? George solo'd for the song, not himself. I think he's one of the greatest slide players to ever live. You can certainly identify his slide playing when you hear it. He wasn't a bad sitarist either.
11-29-2011, 08:47 PM,
(11-29-2011, 08:26 AM)jcbrown Wrote:  Wow. More indie crap. Van Halen and Gilmour so low? No Rick, Alex Lifeson or Ace Frehley?

Still baffled by Eddie at 70 and the jack White at 17.

Mind boggling.

And while I like My Morning Jacket, 2 band mates got to vote? Strange list.

That was the 2003 list. The current one has jack further down. i posted the new voters with the old list by mistake. so there's no confusion the voters i posted are for the 2010 list. so my morning jacket didn't vote for their band mates. the list that everybody has a problem with is david fricke's from 2003.
11-30-2011, 10:01 AM,
I missed the 2nd list.

Sometimes I'm clueless.

Ok, maybe all the time...